The Mathematics, Science, and Technology Education (MSTE) division of the College of Education at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has evolved as a learning system -- a community of practice that functions as a bridge among other such communities -- promoting collaboration between widely dispersed academic researchers, K-12 school teachers, administrators and students at all levels, as well as supportive interactions with a board of experienced advisors.
Our over-arching mission is to enhance student achievement and teaching performance in the fields of mathematics, science, and technology. This mission includes developing innovative uses of information technologies to support research as well as educational practice. All participants in the MSTE program operate in a learning mode in one or more of the following ways:
- Engage in sustained collaborative partnerships that help to relate and support the educational goals of the University of Illinois, the College of Education and the public schools of the State of Illinois and elsewhere; offering K-12 schools access to academic personnel and resources, and offering to academic researchers access to the experience, insights, and commitments as well as constraints of school teachers and administrative officers
- Promote the training of future educational professionals, engaging University students as self-selected participants in the various functions of the MSTE program; upon their subsequent appointments as educators, encourage them to continue as prospective members of the far-reaching MSTE networks
- Develop special instructional modules responsive to challenges encountered by students and teachers in varying classes or textbooks, and made available at no-cost or low-cost for a widespread Internet audience; some such modules are addressed to societal issues generated in a rapidly changing world
- Enhance the technological fluency of students and teachers through frequent interactions with qualified MSTE technological personnel who also share interests in teaching and learning
- Expand opportunities and available resources for historically under-represented groups in fields of mathematics, science, and technology
If you're interested in learning more about MSTE, feel free to browse the site, or to contact us.
If you would like to get in touch with us, here is our contact information:
505 E. Green St.
Champaign, IL 61820
View MSTE on a map
(If you are on the U of I campus, our mail code is 439)
We are located on the University of Illinois campus, on the south side of Green St between 5th and 6th streets. Our office is in the same building as ColdStone Creamery and PNC Bank, just east of Starbucks and across the street from Legends and the Illini Media building. See our address above to find directions to our building. Once you have found our building, it can still be a bit tricky to locate our office for the first time...
Enter through the glass double doors just to the right of Coldstone Creamery's entrance. You will find yourself in a lobby with PNC Bank on your right; go just past it and through the door on your right, next to the drinking fountain. You'll find yourself in a short, L-shaped hallway; the door to MSTE is at the end of it, just past the restrooms. If you find the front office door locked, you can ring the bell next to the door.
The closest parking is the Campus Center Public Parking Deck, located 1 block north of our building. The entrance is off Healey St, just west of 6th St. Please note: 6th St is a one-way street going south, while Healey St is a one-way street going west. The best approach is to turn south on Sixth St from Springfield Ave, then turn west (right) onto Healey; the parking deck entrance will be on your left. If you would like to plan your route, here's a map showing the parking deck's location. The parking deck's address is 509 E Healey St, Champaign, IL 61820. Parking is $1/hour. You can pay with cash at a kiosk on the first floor, or by credit card as you exit.
Other options include:
- Metered street parking along Healey, John, 5th St, or 6th St
- Metered parking at Swanlund Administration Building
- Metered parking at Colonel Wolfe
- Metered parking at either of the other 2 parking decks: John Street Deck (Sixth and John St) or Fifth Street Deck (Fifth and Daniel St).