Excel Downloading Instructions
These are the steps that must be done in order to ensure proper downloading of Excel files to your computer.
- On the menu bar, select Options and then General Preferences.
- Next, select the Helpers window.
- In the Helpers window, select New. This is setting Netscape to recognize files with the .xls extension as Excel files.
- A new window titled New MIME type will appear. There are two entries that need to be filled.
The first is Mime Type:. Enter application.
The second is Mime subtype:. Enter excel.
- Next, select Browse. This is where we will assign what program corresponds to the application we created above. The typical open/save window will appear and you need to find where Excel is located on your computer. Once you find it, select Open.
At this point, we need to tell Netscape what type of files are to be recognized as Excel files. To do this we need to do two things.
- First, where it says Extensions, enter xls.
- Second, where it says File Type, find and select XLS. It is generally located at the very top.
- The last step is to select Launch where it says Action. This will automatically open Excel for you once you click on a file to download. If you do not want Excel to open, click on Save instead of Launch. This will save a copy of the file to your desktop. Either way that is chosen, the file will save to the desktop.
If you have an entry that looks like this,
That's it. You're all set to download Excel files. If not, then you should repeat the steps over again.
Note: If Excel is already open when you select a new file to download, the file will save to the desktop and the Save/Open window will appear. Just click on the newly downloaded file and it will open in Excel.