Student Interface | Teacher
Interface | Math Ed Interface
| Task List | Author
The Island of
This interface is meant to engage those studying mathematics
education. Questions are designed to promote discussion of this
lesson as appropriate for mathematical understanding and knowing.
Issues on the table include:
- What grade level is this activity/lesson appropriate for?
- What mathematics can students learn as a result of this
- Order of operations?
- Reverse Operations?
- Numerical Manipulations?
- Pattern Recognition?
- Does the initial set-up play a role in motivating the
- Why? Why Not? What can be changed?
- Does the absence of absolutely correct answers help students
explore the problem?
- What type of classroom environment is assumed when posing
problems of this type?
- Do you think that this activity is fun? Why? Why
- What type of questioning techniques are involved with helping
students explore this activity?
- What standards from the NCTM are evident in initial viewing of
- What Else?